Date: April 2, 2017
Event: Martinsville 500 (Round 6 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Martinsville (Va.) Speedway (.526-mile oval)
Format: 500 laps, broken into three stages (130 laps/130 laps/240 laps)
Start/Finish: 14th/37th (Accident, completed 295 of 500 laps)
Point Standing: 19th (119 points, 149 out of first)
Race Winner: Brad Keselowski of Team Penske (Ford)
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-130):
● Kurt Busch started 14th, finished 14th.
● Busch was scored as high as 10th during Stage 1.
● Battled a loose-handling condition on corner exit.
● Visited pit road at the conclusion of Stage 1 for right-side tires, fuel and chassis adjustments.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 131-260):
● Started 22nd, finished 25th.
● Struggled with a lack of forward drive on corner exit.
● Lost a lap to the leader on lap 202.
● Visited pit road at the conclusion of Stage 2 for four tires, fuel and air pressure adjustments.
Final Stage Recap (Laps 261-500):
● Started 23rd, finished 37th.
● Busch was caught up in a multicar accident on lap 290. He was able to continue in the event but suffered more severe damage a mere eight laps later in turn three. The damage was significant enough to force the team to retire from the race.
● There were 14 caution periods for a total of 95 laps.
● A total of 20 drivers finished on the lead lap.
● Keselowski’s win in the Martinsville 500 is his 23rd career Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series victory, his second of the season and his first at Martinsville.
The next event on the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the O’Reilly Auto Parts 500 on Sunday, April 9 at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth. The race starts at 1:30 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by FOX.